Colonel John C. Roberts is the Vice Commander, 557th Weather Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb. The Wing consists of more than 1,450 active duty and civil service personnel at 19 locations around the world providing centralized weather products and services, including climatological and space weather support to Air Force, Army, Joint Force, and other Department of Defense activities. The Wing executes worldwide weather operations to enable air and space superiority, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance, rapid global mobility, global strike, and command and control in support of all geographic and functional combatant commands.
Colonel Roberts was born in Los Angeles, California. He earned his commission through the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps after graduating from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, in 1997. Prior to his Vice Commander assignment, Colonel Roberts served as the Deputy Director of Weather, Director of Weather, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C. As Deputy Director, he was responsible for assisting the director in developing and implementing weather doctrine, policies, plans, programs, and standards. He also managed the execution of the $300 million per year weather program, interfaced with Air Force MAJCOMs, the U.S. Space Force and the U.S. Army regarding full exploitation of Air Force weather resources and technology, and directed interagency activities with the Department of Commerce, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and the Federal Aviation Administration.
As a Special Operations Weather Team (SOWT) operator and weather officer Colonel Roberts has deployed multiple times in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM and provided support to Operations INHERENT RESOLVE, FREEDOM’S SENTINEL and other classified missions in support of Overseas Contingency Operations.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Science, Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
1998 Basic Weather Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Mississippi
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2005 M.A. in Education, Trident University International, Cypress CA
2009 M.S. Military Operational Art, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2012 Air War College, Non-residence
1. October 1997 - October 1998, Weather Flight Commander, 42d Operations Support Squadron, 42d Air Base Wing, Maxwell AFB, AL
2. October 1998 - June 2000, Operations Officer, Detachment 2, 10th Combat Weather Squadron, Fort Campbell, Kentucky, in support of the U.S. Army 5th Special Forces Group and 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment
3. June 2000 - June 2003, Commander, Detachment 12, 7th Weather Squadron, Vicenza, Italy, in support of the U.S. Army 173d Airborne Brigade and Southern European Task Force (Airborne)
4. June 2003 - January 2005, Director of Weather Operations, Aviation Tactics Evaluation Group (AVTEG), Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
5. February 2005 - May 2006, Executive Officer, AVTEG, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
6. May 2006 - August 2008, Operations Officer, Commissioned Officer Training, Officer Training School, Maxwell, AL
7. August 2008 - June 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL
8. July 2009 – Jun 2011, Director of Operations, 30th Weather Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, CA
9. Jun 2011 – Aug 2012, Director of Operations, 30th Operational Support Squadron Vandenberg, CA
10. Aug 2012 – Jul 2014, Commander, 18th Weather Squadron ACC, Ft Bragg, NC
11. Jul 2014 – Jun 2017, A3O-Weather Branch Chief, AFSOC, Hurlburt Field FL
12. Jun 2017 – Jun 2018, Deputy Commander, 8th Mission Support Group, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
13. Jun 2018 – Mar 2020, Division Chief, Policy and Readiness, HQ Air Force, Washington D.C
14. Mar 2020 – July 2021, Deputy Director of Weather, Director of Weather, HQ Air Force, Washington D.C.
15. July 2021 – Current, Vice Commander, 557th Weather Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
AF Basic Space and Missile Operations Badge
Master Meteorologist Badge
U.S. Army Master Rated Parachutist Badge
U.S. Army Pathfinder Badge
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with 6 oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster